budgets and costs

Discuss ideas for the 2010 Cannonball

Postby starreem » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:41 am

I'm definitely looking to share expenses with someone both for hotels and support.

Karen G wrote:Who's up for sharing hotel rooms along the road?...
starreem
84%

Postby Karen G » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks Star. I don't have a support vehicle arranged yet. I'm down with splitting costs on that and hotel rooms.

Karen
'67 Simson Schwalbe
'09 Vespa GTV

Bumpstart Magazine, "When you can't kick it, you bump it."
www.bumpstartmag.com

American Scooterist, the Vespa Club of America Magazine
www.vespaclubusa.org
Karen G
Auto 250

Postby ks7877 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:30 pm

starreem wrote:I'm definitely looking to share expenses with someone both for hotels and support.

Karen G wrote:Who's up for sharing hotel rooms along the road?...

Is three wimmenfolk in a room too many?

I roomed with Starr in Chattanooga. She's very easy to get along with and fun to be around. (Plus she saved me with the loan of a spare tire already on its rim.) Hopefully she'll verify that I'm fairly tidy and don't (usually) snore.

Karen G. was kind enough to spend some time with me last summer. She guided me on a lovely morning tour of Portland and gave me a couple of copies of her publications which I shared with some Vancouver scooterists.

I hope we can find a way to share / save together.
ks7877
Auto 250

Postby mapsail13 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:56 pm

I think we have a total of 4 of us so far and I'm up for sharing rooms to keep costs down. I'm afraid though that at 6 feet tall and not 150 pounds..sharing a double bed might be a little too close for comfort, LOL. I did consider floor space, but I have been told good nites sleep is going to be pretty important for the long haul.

Melanie
mapsail13
102%

Postby starreem » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:34 am

I'm up for anything, but I will say in my experience trying to bunk up more than 2 people to a room will get old fast. If we were staying more than one night in each location it might not be so bad (Chattanooga), easier to work around the one bathroom, four people need to share.

I did do this with 3 other guys over a six days cross country adventure. Someone always wound up on the floor or a sofa. I can say after a long journey, sleeping with a stranger in the bed is not so always so restful. Someone had to get up way earlier than everyone else to get a shower, or do without for the day, cause we ran out of time, never enough towels.

I think splitting the costs by two is going to be a financial help in any event. Splitting by four would be great for my wallet, not so much for my aching back.
starreem
84%

Postby bagel » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:45 pm

Actually 5 women have registered so far: starreem, mapsail13, Karen G, bodacious and ks7877 - that's a Cannonball record! Having ridden two Cannonballs, I would agree that two people to a room works well, but as they say, three's a crowd. It might be doable if three people are close to one another and somebody doesn't mind sharing a bed, or pitching a sleeping bag on the floor, or a cot, or a couch. Keep in mind though that the Cannonball is going to take a lot out of you and you'll want to be able to rest well at night.

FYI, the plan is to reserve a block of rooms in hotels each night at a discount rate, so that we can keep everyone together and save on room costs at the same time. I'll be kicking that process into high gear next week, once my club's rally this weekend is behind us.
Tom "Bagel" Donohue
Vespa Club Los Gatos
2007 Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
bagel
122%

Previous

Return to Planning