Smithers... RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!

Discuss ideas for the 2010 Cannonball

Postby bagel » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Ok... after a bit of a delay due to life's everyday business, here's where we stand with registrations. I've received registrations from Mark, Karen and Simon, so we now have 21 registered riders, broken down as follows:

Auto 250: 14
Auto 200: 3
Manual 250: 1
Manual 200: 3

I've heard from one more Cannonball veteran who is planning on riding in the Manual 200 class, which will bring our total to 22. If anyone else is planning on registering, get your registration in soon... there are only 112 days left until registration closes! ;)
Tom "Bagel" Donohue
Vespa Club Los Gatos
2007 Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
bagel
122%

Postby bagel » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:59 pm

Alrighty, we now have a grand total of 22 Cannonballers! Welcome back Steve (svhess), I got your registration on Saturday and you're official! Here's where the classes currently stand:

Auto 250: 15

I'm pretty happy with the response so far, and I imagine there will be more to come before July 31st. We have 13 newbies and 9 veterans, including 17 men and 5 women, the latter being a new Cannonball record!

One thing I would like to see more of though is a balance between all of the classes. Now I understand that the Manual 250 class does require a certain combination of genius and madness to participate in, so I won't be surprised if there are only a handful contestants in it on Day 1. But only 3 people want to ride in the Auto 200 class? And how many Buddy and Vespa LX/ET riders are out there? Are there are any more of you out there who are up for an adventure? What about those guys who were talking all about taking Chinese scooters on the Cannonball a while back? (:crickets:) And the Manual 200 class is wide open too, between stock P200's, 177-kitted modern Stellas or vintage Vespas, stock Lambrettas (Keiran?!?), or even the Sym Symba! ;)

This ride is planned so that anyone on any of those bikes can make it across on the ride, so it just takes is a solid bike, good mechanical ability and/or support, enough funds and/or sponsorship to afford the gear, gadgets, gas, supplies and room and board, and a strong sense of adventure. Don't think that a smaller bike can't do it, and do it well - if two guys could ride mopeds to Tierra del Fuego and back, any well maintained and tuned 150 should have no problem going from coast to coast. So who else is up to the challenge?
Tom "Bagel" Donohue
Vespa Club Los Gatos
2007 Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
bagel
122%

Postby bagel » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:41 pm

Ok, we have one more on board - TDLphoto you're officially registered, welcome! Here's where we now stand:

Riders: 23

Auto 250: 16

Veterans: 9
Newbies: 14

Male: 18
Female: 5

There are just about three months left until registration closes. Who else is in? Pete? Oz? Come on now, don't be holding out... ;)
Tom "Bagel" Donohue
Vespa Club Los Gatos
2007 Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
bagel
122%

Postby dewey » Mon May 17, 2010 5:44 pm

I'm getting antsy, no posts for 4 weeks, what's next?
dewey
124%

Postby mogeewogee » Mon May 17, 2010 6:07 pm

Dewey,
I suppose that this is the time to be out riding.... and building up or tuning your scooter, building up your tool kit, supplies etc...the forum will pick up as the time grows near.
I just ordered my Tour tank and am working on tires as well, may put new shocks......
getting my parts list finalized.
BELIEVE ME there are some very spirited folks prepping for this, it will happen, don't get antsy...get ready.... :D
"So far behind that I think I am ahead..."
mogeewogee
Auto 250

Postby feb31st » Mon May 17, 2010 6:17 pm

Alot of us are here and getting ready - I am starting some shake down runs this weekend, researching windshield options, planning out what maintenance I am going to do between now and September, blah blah. I spoke with another rider today at lunch - his prep in full swing.

If it is like 2008 come June/July stuff will really get busy, hotels, final route details, rider blogs will pop up, etc.

Start some threads in the riders area... you'd be surprised at how many lurkers are out here.
GTS250
2014 Cannonball, http://cbr2014.tumblr.com
2012 Cannonball, http://cbr12.tumblr.com
2010 Cannonball, http://cbr10.blogspot.com
2008 Cannonball, http://cbr08.blogspot.com
feb31st
122%

Postby bagel » Sat May 22, 2010 2:19 am

Yes, I hope that everyone is busy with prepping and planning. Study the route, day by day, make your list of gear, supplies and spares, and start gathering them all together. Get your bike set up and shaken down, go on a long trip to see how it does, and be sure to give yourself time to make additional adjustments and modifications as needed.

In the meantime, I've received three new registration forms over the past couple days... welcome to the Scooter Cannonball Run daniel, evilscooterkitty and Noel! Here's where our statistics stand:

Riders: 26

Auto 250: 16
Auto 200: 5
Manual 200: 4

Veterans: 9
Newbies: 17

Male: 21
Female: 5

I'm very happy to see the new additions to the Auto 200 and Manual 200 classes, having more riders will make the ride that much more interesting.
Tom "Bagel" Donohue
Vespa Club Los Gatos
2007 Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
bagel
122%

Postby mapsail13 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:15 pm

Would you say that the drafts are pretty close to being the final route? And are the A, B, C's..... on the maps the check spots where we have to take a picture??

Just trying to figure how I'm going to set up my Garmin. And not get lost.
mapsail13
102%

Postby bagel » Sat May 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Well, I wouldn't say that they're the final routes just yet, though they should be close. Keep in mind that changes need to be made at a later date, so be prepared to make adjustments as needed. The "A" point would be the starting point for each day, "B" "C" and "D" would be the checkpoints and "E" would be the end point. These may be subject to change as well, but most of them will probably stay where they are. If you can easily make changes to a saved route in your Garmin, I would say that you can go ahead and start programming the route; otherwise if it would be a big pain in the butt to revise it later, I would hold off until we firm up the route. In the meantime, feel free to study the route online and post any questions regarding a specific day's route in the existing thread for that day.
Tom "Bagel" Donohue
Vespa Club Los Gatos
2007 Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
bagel
122%

Postby bagel » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Ok, here's the latest update on where registrations stand. Welcome back to Bill Murar, a Cannonball veteran from 2006, who will be riding in the Manual 200 class! However, we've had several people drop out recently: mapsail13, Doug H, smooothrider, svhess and Noel. So, this leaves us with the following:

Riders: 22

Auto 250: 14
Auto 200: 4
Manual 250: 0
Manual 200: 4

Veterans: 8
Newbies: 14

Male: 18
Female: 4

Now that just about all of the hotels have been posted (except for 2), I'd recommend that everyone who wants to share a room start pairing up with someone and get your reservations made. There are only two months left until we launch ourselves across the continent, so you better be busy making your preparations now! :D
Tom "Bagel" Donohue
Vespa Club Los Gatos
2007 Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
bagel
122%

Support vehicle registration

Postby luinetti » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:02 pm

I'll have a check in the mail tomorrow for with the registration form for my support driver/vehicle. Of course, I registered as a rider months ago.

BillyComeLately
luinetti
130%

Postby bagel » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:23 pm

Excellent! I'll look forward to receiving it next week.

So who else is organizing a support team? Please send the registration form in for your support team members ASAP!
Tom "Bagel" Donohue
Vespa Club Los Gatos
2007 Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
bagel
122%

Support registration detail

Postby luinetti » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:49 pm

Bagel, when you receive my check for the support vehicle, do you generate another "authorization" for the support vehicle driver, or would you expect that anyone associated with me for this venture could use my access?

Your thoughts?

BillyComeLately
luinetti
130%

Postby bagel » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:29 am

Well, the support team registration fee covers all members of the support team who are listed on the registration form. Each member will receive their own time/route sheet and they will be officially registered as full participants in the Scooter Cannonball Run, in the support class.

Speaking of which, we have our first support team registered - welcome Clint and Julie! :D

There are less than 20 days left before registration closes... anyone else who wants to jump in the fray better do it soon!
Tom "Bagel" Donohue
Vespa Club Los Gatos
2007 Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
bagel
122%

Support registraion form...more concernint.

Postby luinetti » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:12 pm

OK, anyway, mines posted in the mail today. I will have to add my son's signature to the form when we get to Vancouver. That OK? He's 600 miles from me, and I didnlt think it would be necessary to ZIP this form around for a signature that we could get the day before we leave. Do You AGREE?
luinetti
130%

PreviousNext

Return to Planning